Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I never blog about "political" issues, but...


It’s not okay to disagree with people anymore, is it?

Yes, I'm referencing the whole "Chick-Fil-A Debate" going on because people don't agree with one another. I am not usually one to talk about what I consider politics (as that is the root of the issue), but the ridiculous amount of posts on facebook has me thinking and I honestly have no desire to enter into a debate with people when I don't care one way or another about them agreeing or disagreeing with me or anyone else.

I find it very interesting that people are so outraged because….it’s a restaurant that’s always traditionally been closed on Sundays for church and we’re surprised that the owner of such a place doesn’t believe in something that many traditional Christians do not believe in? Spare me. It isn’t as if it couldn’t have been deduced years ago. The owners have the freedom to believe whatever they wish. They never said, “And gay people cannot eat here.” They simply said they do not agree with the idea and wouldn’t support it. SO WHAT? The point is we ARE America, a free country, and we can choose to believe whatever we wish. Note what I said – we can BELIEVE whatever we wish. No, we cannot just DO whatever we wish or believe all the time. Note that prayer is not a part of school anymore? That’s something taken away from Christians because it was disagreed with – i.e. the street goes both ways. No one is allowed to run around and do whatever they please. You can THINK whatever you please…unless you are an owner of a fast-food franchise apparently?

I get that a counterargument to my statement about freedom would be that gay couples cannot choose freely to marry, but I honestly don’t get that argument. I also was clear that we can BELIEVE whatever we wish, not just go do it...because there has to be some form of political control and votes will be the way that is changed, nothing more. Moral outrage, boycotting a restaurant and posting some pissed off status will not, in fact, change that LAW. That’s entirely about politics being involved and I believe that one day in the not-so-distant future it will pass into legality eventually. Now, if people keep proving the super conservatives RIGHT, then maybe it will take longer. Think of that? If we all just “want to get along and have the same rights” then condemning a  person for their beliefs that oppose yours makes you JUST as wrong and the argument will literally get nowhere. Which is pretty obvious. For instance, I've seen the word "bigot" thrown around an awful lot - why? He's a bigot because he believes differently than...YOU? Yeah........no.

The point of marriage to many is not the legality of it, but the ceremony, which anyone and everyone can choose to have in different capacities. As a married person, I do not consider my married relationship any “better” than a same-sex relationship that has been together the same length of time that we have. I suppose we have more rights as a unit, but what about the fact that once we were married we took on eachother’s past history – i.e. debt, credit score, etc? It isn’t all rays of sunshine. And I swear if I hear that “gay people would stay married longer,” one more time I just might burst out laughing in someone’s face. I’m sorry, but no. Relationships break up at all stages no matter your age, race, marital status, beliefs or sexual preferences. It’s just reality. There would probably be less marriages fall apart in that community to begin with for one reason – they wouldn’t want to give up a right so fiercely fought for (who would?) and a lot of those couples have probably been together for quite some time. But once it became the "norm" it would be exactly the same as heterosexual marriage because relationships are not about what gender people are...they are about how couples deal with conflict and change. But give it 100+ years (or less) and it would just be a divorce rate overall and it’d probably all be pretty equal.

I’m just saying that I find it all pretty ridiculous. Chick-fil-A can believe whatever they believe, they aren’t forcing their beliefs on anyone. Eat the chicken or don’t, no one really cares. Their company will not fold because some customers don’t go there anymore. People forget that the other side will probably rally around and go to Chick-fil-A even more to prove a point….again, duh.

And then there are people like me…who will continue to eat wherever I want based on what I am craving, not the belief of an owner I will never meet or the opposing belief that I neither agree nor disagree with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment